Football season is finally here, and you know what that means: it’s time to tailgate! Whether you’re a casual fan or a diehard football lover, tailgating is a fun way to spend time with friends and family with food, drinks, and games while bonding over a shared love of your football team. Though the basics of tailgating are rather easy, it’s important to have some tailgating tips under your belt so that you can have the best tailgate of the season.
Here are some of the best tips for tailgating before the game to truly step up your tailgate:
- Show Up Early. If you’re tailgating near the stadium, make sure you show up early! This way, you can park your car/truck in a good spot near the stadium, so you don’t have to walk too far to the game, and you can tailgate for longer! This will be especially nice when it gets a little colder.
- Speakers. Grab a Bluetooth speaker so you can play music for yourself and your guests. Tailgates can get pretty loud, and playing music from your phone will definitely not be loud enough. On the other hand, playing music from your car speaker may be a little too loud! A Bluetooth speaker is a happy medium so you can party on with great music, without disturbing neighboring tailgates.
- Games. A good tailgate is nothing without some games! Bring a table for some beer pong, or a cornhole board for a classic game of cornhole. Bonus points if the board is customized for your favorite team! Or, get a giant tower of Jenga and building blocks for a family-friendly game.
- Team Gear. Don’t forget your team gear! Even if everyone is wearing their favorite shirt, jersey, or hat, you might want to bring some extra team gear swag to share with your guests. Consider bringing helmets, beads, washable tattoos, banners, or flags to get your tailgate in the team spirit. You can also use these as props for taking photos!
- Materials. In addition to the things mentioned above, make sure you have some practical items on hand so that your tailgate has smooth sailing. Bring a blanket in case it gets too cold, and a foldable/portable trash can so you have somewhere to put your trash. You’ll also want a cooler to keep drinks cold, a grill if you’re grilling with proper cooking tools (spatulas, tongs, etc.), plates, cups, eating utensils, napkins, hand sanitizer wipes, and a toolbox on hand. You may also consider bringing a small first aid kit in case anything happens.
- Food and Drinks. What’s a tailgate without the right food and drinks! Get food that’s easy to share and serve in groups. We’re talking pizza, sandwiches, wings, and other classic game-day food. You might also want some appetizers and dips to go around, like mozzarella sticks, chicken tenders, nachos, and chips and salsa. And make sure you have plenty of drinks for everyone: water, soda, and any alcoholic beverages you want.
For the perfect tailgate, get your food and drinks from Suzy’s Bar and Grill in Yorkville, IL! We offer delicious pizzas, sandwiches, calzones, burgers, and wraps that will take any tailgate to the next level. Be sure to check out our Events Calendar for in-person fun like trivia, slot machines, pool tables, volleyball, bags, darts, and more. Visit our website to learn more or give us a call at (630) 553-6500.